top of page
Happy Young Family



This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).


You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:

        1. an Australian citizen

        2. an Australian permanent resident

        3. an eligible New Zealand citizen.

You could be granted an 820/801 visa if:

        1. Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. This means you must have parental permission if you are 16 or 17 years of age.

        2. You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.

        3. If you’re inside Australia at the time of application.

        4. You already hold another visa type, e.g. student visa, visitor visa, or working holiday visa.

        5. You do not have an “8503 – No further stay” condition.

        6. Meet health and character requirements.


Stay in Australia indefinitely

Work and study in Australia

Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses


Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

Travel to and from Australia for five years

Apply for Australian citizenship (once residence requirements have been met)

bottom of page